Tuesday, January 4, 2011

For My Bosses: My Drinking Story

We got drunk on a 20 dollar bottle of wine, Mark and I.
Across the room they did the same, with a different kind.
Ours was the type they shared when he proposed.
She asked for a taste so “I can remember”.
I watched it move through her.
I watched it move her.
(They lived in a place with a willow tree,
Gravestones, and crooked streets.
I felt them shatter each other’s souls and
Her ring was always breaking.)
We ran along the autumn asphalt
And picked tulips like they were ours to keep.
We danced under the mercury lights;
It made us golden, made us glow, like heroes-
But I could never save you.
We climbed up a fire escape
On some rundown apartment.
We took off our tops and yelled at the cars
Four stories below us on E street.
You no longer move me.

No comments: